Arkansas State University Knowledgebase
Search:     Advanced search

Access and Accommodation Services FAQ

Article ID: 277
Last updated: 20 Nov, 2019

Access and Accommodation Services

Frequently Asked Questions

ASU Office of Access and Accommodation Services website
P.O. Box 360
State University, AR 72467
Phone    : 870-972-3964
Fax         : 870-972-3351


How can I obtain services?

  • Have a documented or established disability. If you do not have a copy of your documentation, you can request a letter from your doctor or have your doctor complete a Client Information Form.

  • Complete the registration process in Access and Accommodation Services (A&AS). The registration form can be downloaded online.

  • Submit the registration form and documentation of your disability to Access and Accommodation Services (A&AS) and meet with a A&AS Counselor.

  • Obtain an Accommodation Card from Access and Accommodation Services.

I haven't been diagnosed; I don't know if I have a disability; I want to get tested for a learning disability, how do I do that?

Contact Access and Accommodation Services for a consultation and counseling.

Do you provide tutoring services for students?

A&AS does not have a tutoring program; however, A&AS has a list of organizations and labs that offer tutoring.

I have difficulty walking and have to use crutches this semester. How do I make arrangements to ride the golf cart?

  • Complete the Transportation Golf Cart Program application in Access and Accommodation and meet with the Transportation Golf Cart Program Coordinator.

  • Eligibility is determined by the severity and duration of the student's disability

  • Due to limited space on the carts and a lack of staffing, a limited amount of persons will be allowed into the program. The Transportation Golf Cart Program is not available in the summer.

How do I get an interpreter?

Contact Access and Accommodation Services.

Are there any scholarships for students with disabilities?

Yes, contact Access and Accommodation Services at the end of January each year. The contact person is Ms. Dominique White in Access and Accommodation Services.

What is Note taking Services?

Student volunteers share their lecture notes with students who are Deaf and Hard of Hearing, visually impaired, or have learning disabilities, ADD, ADHD, and physical disabilities.

Where can I park if I have disability parking?

All disability parking spaces in the garage are free of charge for people with state disability parking and who have registered with Access and Accommodation Services. Disability parking is also available in any disability space on campus except for contract lots. The disability spaces in the contract lots have to be purchased. Spaces designated as faculty/staff and/or student spaces are also available to students with state disability parking. If you have any questions or need clarification, the contact person is Vaneta Harvey in Access and Accommodation Services.

What should I do if I have a temporary impairment and need disability parking?

Students may apply for temporary state disability parking. To apply for a temporary state disability parking hangtag, a form which is available on the A&AS website must be completed by a doctor. The completed form must be taken to the Revenue Department. If students do not want to apply for a temporary state disability parking hangtag, they may contact the ASU Student Health Center for a placard which allows the student to park in faculty/staff and student parking spaces only.

Where can visitors with state disability parking, park on campus?

Visitors with state disability parking can park in the spaces marked disability spaces on any level of the parking garage free of charge.

What are web accessibility guidelines?

They are recommendations to web authors on how to create accessible web content.

Do I need to make my website accessible?

Yes. All Arkansas State websites including faculty members websites for their classes need to be accessible. For help in making websites more accessible, contact Access and Accommodation Services. Read about web accessibility guidelines.

I would like to be active in the community and would like to join an organization.

Delta Sigma Omicron (DSO) is a student organization sponsored by Access and Accommodation Services. To view more information about DSO, please visit the DSO website. Other volunteer organizations include: Volunteers in Action, Note taking, Campus Guides, and Study Services.

I would like to use alternative format for my books. How do I request the service?

  • Notify the Reader Services Coordinator in Access and Accommodation Services to request books.

  • Submit your class schedule and the title, author, edition and ISBN of the books as soon as possible.

  • Always remember to pick up the alternative books and the CD player (if applicable).

  • Return the books and the CD player to Access and Accommodation Services at the end of the semester.

What is Assistive Technology?

Assistive Technology is any item, piece of equipment or product system, whether acquired commercially off the shelf, modified, or customized, that is used to increase, maintain, or improve functional capabilities of individuals with disabilities. Access and Accommodation Services has software and devices available for students to use. The software is available in several computer labs across campus. Some of the devices are available to check out to qualified students. Check with Access and Accommodation Services regarding the availability of specific Assistive Technology. Visit the assistive technology page.

I am registered with Access and Accommodation Services. How do I receive services for this semester?

Students are required to contact Access and Accommodation Services at the beginning of the Fall academic term. Students may go into AIM and choose their accommodations for the Spring and Summer terms from a list of pre-approved accommodations. Students should discuss accommodations with their instructors. If students experience academic problems, they should contact A&AS immediately to resolve the problem.

Article ID: 277
Last updated: 20 Nov, 2019
Revision: 4
Views: 1792
Print Subscribe Email to friend Share
Prev   Next
Get help with access & special accommodations     Documents needed to get a Disability parking space