In discussions, you can share thoughts and ideas about class materials. Your instructor may post a question about a reading or ask you to share your own research.
When you view a thread, all posts and the thread description appear on one page. Each author's profile picture accompanies their post to help you easily identify your classmates.
How to Access a Discussion activity (Forum)
The Instructor may add the Discussions tool link to the Course Menu or have the Discussion activity linked in a Module or Folder.
If your instructor provides a link to the Discussion tool on the Course Menu, the link will usually direct you to the full Discussion Board
If your instructor provides a link to the Discussion in a Module or a Folder, the link will usually direct you to an individual Discussion's Forums page.
How to Create a Discussion Post (Thread)
After you have accessed the Discussion activity, you can create Discussion posts or threads.
- On the Forum page, click the Create Thread button.
- Type a title and your entry.
- Click Submit to post your entry.
How to read and reply to another user's Discussion Post (Thread)
Many Instructors require students to reply to other user's posts.
- On the Forum page, select the title of another user's post to open it.
- Click the Reply button. You also have the option to Quote the post.
- Type your reply.
- Click Submit to post your reply.
Common Questions about Discussions
Q. I saved a Discussion post as a draft. How do I view the draft?
- To access your drafts, return to the Forum's page. Click on the Display option on the right-hand side and select Drafts Only to view the saved post. More about draft posts.
Q. Can I edit or delete a Discussion Post?
- Your instructor determines if you're allowed to edit or delete your Discussion post. On the Forum page, click on your post. On the and open the menu and select Edit or Delete. The delete action is final and irreversible.
Q. How can I view my Journal Grade?
- After your instructor grades your journal entries, you can view your grade in two places. The grading information appears in the Grade section on the journal's topic page and in My Grades.