If you are using up most of your mailbox quota, Microsoft 365's In-Place/Online Archive is a good way of cleaning up your mailbox while still retaining messages.
The In-Place/Online Archive feature is available upon request. It is not turned on by default.
This archive only functions on Outlook desktop clients and Outlook for the Web. Those using Apple Mail, Thunderbird or any other mail client will be unable to see or access their archive.
The In-Place/Online Archive is currently not available on Outlook Mobile apps.
What is the In-Place/Online Archive
- A separate mailbox with it's own quota. (Does not impact the quota on your primary mailbox.)
- It retains the same folder structure as your mailbox.
- Available from Outlook desktop clients and Outlook for the Web.
- Once enabled for your account, the archive will automatically archive message older than 2 years.
|In-Place Archive in Outlook for the Web||Online Archive in Outlook Desktop Windows||Online Archive in Outlook Desktop MacOS|
Importing a Local Archive into your In-Place/Online Archive
You can import your local archive (pst file) in to your In-Place/Online Archive. Please refer to the KB article Import Archived Mail from a PST File.
Unfortunately, Outlook for the Mac does not support importing into the In-Place/Online Archive. The only supported method is to move individual messages to your archive mailbox one by one (you can't move or copy multiple items at once). For additional information, please refer to the Microsoft Support article Use your online archive with Outlook for Mac.
Additional Microsoft resources
- Quick Start Guide
- Outlook Training
- Outlook Help
- Download PDF: Outlook Quick Start Guide